- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Place all the ingredients, except for the tarragon, in a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Right out of the oven, remove the garlic, mash it and return it with the beets. Sprinkle with the tarragon.
- Serve the warm beets with meat or poultry.
As dark red as they always were, now there are white, golden yellow, and even candy-striped beets. Are they all interesting in cooking? It depends. For even cooking, red beets are firmer to the bite and less sweet than the golden. The latter are the best to my taste. In addition, they retain their beautiful yellow color when cooked, which is not the case of the candy-striped beet. To maintain their spectacular appearance, it is best to serve these raw in salads.