- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) light corn syrup
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 75 °C (170 °F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites and lemon juice with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and syrup, beating until stiff peaks form.
- With the back of a spoon, spread the meringue over the baking sheet to form a 25-cm (10-inch) in diameter disc.
- Scoop out the centre of the disc to give it the shape of a pie plate. The bottom must be at least 2.5-cm (1-inch) thick.
- Place the meringue in the oven to dry for at least 5 hours. Turn the oven off and let it stand overnight in the oven, with the door ajar.
- The next day, if the meringue is not completely dry, dry it again at the same temperature until crisp.
Baking at such a low temperature gives a perfectly white pavlova.
To make this step easier, draw a 25-cm (10-inch) circle on the parchment paper.
as a Pavlova... Fill the meringue with whipped cream, lemon curd and seasonal berries.