Fruit and nut Mix
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Set aside.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Butter a 19 x 9-cm (7.5 x 3.5-inch) loaf pan or a 20 x 10-cm (8 x 4-inch) pan. Line with parchment paper, letting the paper hang over 2 opposite sides.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. At low speed, add the dry ingredients and Marsala wine.
- With a spatula, stir the fruit and nut mixture into the batter. Spread in the pan and bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool. Unmould and cool completely on a rack.
- Slice the cake thinly and serve with cheese of your choice (Cheddar, goat cheese, Tomme, Comté, Gruyère, etc..).
Make sure to measure the fruit and nuts precisely, no extra, because if you use a small 19 x 9-cm (7.5 x 3.5-inch) pan, the amount of batter comes right up the edge of the pan. You can easily find these disposable aluminum pans in grocery stores.
Wrap the cake in aluminum foil and freeze. With a sharp knife, slice the frozen cake as thinly as possible. Dry the slices, side by side, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in the middle of the oven for about 18 minutes at 170 °C (325 °F). Be careful not to overbrown the crackers. Let them cool on the baking sheet.