Spice and Cocoa Rubbed Flap Steak
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) chili powder
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) hot pepper flakes, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) ground cumin
- 4 beef flap steaks, about 6 oz (170 g) each
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Set aside.
- In a dish, pat the steaks with the dry rub. Cover and let stand in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Oil the steaks. In a hot ridged skillet or on the grill over high heat, grill the flap steaks for about 2 minutes per side for rare or until the desired doneness. Set aside on a plate and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Thinly slice and serve with French fries or roasted baby potatoes and asparagus.
You can also serve the steaks cold, cut into thin slices over a green salad.