- 4 small eggplant, peeled (or 2 large)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) coarse salt
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- 1 cup (250 ml) white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) olive oil, or more, as needed
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise. Slice into thin strips with a knife.
- In a colander, toss the eggplant strips with the salt. Place the colander over a bowl and let drain in the refrigerator for 4 hours, tossing a few times. Press to drain well and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, vinegar, garlic, and pepper flakes to a boil. Add the eggplant slices and bring back to a boil. Simmer for 3 minutes. Drain and remove and discard the garlic.
- Stuff the eggplant slices into two 250 ml (1 cup) sterilized jars. Cover with oil by lightly inserting a fork so that the oil gets everywhere. Cover and refrigerate. Allow to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Will keep about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Delicious in sandwiches, on pasta, in frittata or as antipasti.