- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Untie the roast and remove as mush fat as possible. Cut into five pieces.
- In an ovenproof pan, combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and bake for about 3 hours or until the meat is very tender and falls apart with a fork. Season with salt and pepper.
- With a fork, shred the meat. Adjust the seasoning. Keep warm.
Fresh Tomato Salsa (Pico de Gallo)
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Let stand for about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Fill the shells with the meat mixture, lettuce, tomato salsa, sour cream, and cheese.
If you cannot find ground chipotle pepper, you can replace it with the same amount of chipotle Tabasco sauce.
Queso fresco cheese has a grainy texture reminiscent of feta. However, it is much less salty.
Do not confuse Tex-Mex tacos with Mexican tacos. The American version, mostly served in crispy tacos, are sweeter and topped with more ingredients.