Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie
- 1 3/4 cups (430 ml) flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) sugar
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) unsalted butter, very cold, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) ice water, approximately
Pastry dough (2 crusts)
- 4 cups (1 litre) strawberries, halved
- 2 cups (500 ml) rhubarb, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) sugar
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) quick-cooking tapioca
- In the bowl of a food processor, place the flour, salt and sugar. Pulse just to blend. Add the butter. Pulse, a few seconds at a time, until the mixture has a coarse and grainy texture.
- Add the ice water. Pulse and add a little water, if necessary, until a ball starts to form. Remove the dough. Form a ball with your hands. Dust with flour and cover in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC (400 ºF). Roll out the dough. Line a 20-cm (8-inch) pie plate. Set aside. In a bowl, combine all the filling ingredients. Pour into the pie shell. Cover with the remaining pie dough.
- Bake in the lowest position of the oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven’s temperature to 180 ºC (350 ºF). Continue baking for about 45 minutes or until the bottom of the pie is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
For a golden brown pie, brush the top crust with milk, egg yolk or a mixture of the two before baking the pie.