- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 110 °C (225 °F).
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until just tender. Drain and oil lightly. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown the meat in half the oil, crumbling it with the back of a fork, until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a second skillet, brown the onion and bell pepper in the remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In two saucepans or in the microwave oven, heat the cream of mushroom soup and tomato soup separately. Add a little water to the cream of mushroom soup.
- In a 10 cups (2.5 litres) baking dish, spread the meat. Top with the onion and bell pepper mixture. Add the pasta and cover with the cream of mushroom soup and tomato soup. Sprinkle generously with the potato chips. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the chips are golden brown. Serve with a green salad.