- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Cubanel pepper, seeded and diced (or 1 jalapeño)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 lbs (1 kg) lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 can 19 oz (540 mL) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can 19 oz (540 mL) kidney beans
- 1 can 28 oz (796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) ketchup
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, brown the bell pepper, onion, and pepper in the oil. Add the meat, garlic, and spices and sauté for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Adjust the seasoning. Serve with toasted bread.