Carrot, Apricot and Cheese Rustic Tart
- 2 cups (300 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (170 g) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) ice water, approximately
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups (150 g) Gruyère, Valbert or Alfred le fermier cheese, grated
- 6 dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 8 slices Bayonne ham or prosciutto
- With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a 17 x 12-inch (43 x 30 cm) baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and pulse a few seconds at a time until the butter is the size of peas. Add the water and pulse again until the dough just begins to form. Add more water, if needed. Remove the dough from the food processor and form into a disc with your hands. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to about 1 inch (2.5 cm) larger than the baking sheet. Place the dough on the baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine the onion, carrot and oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the sour cream over the crust and top with the cheese. Cover with the onion and carrot mixture. Bake for 25 minutes or until the crust is golden. Sprinkle with the apricots and top with the Bayonne ham. Cut into four or eight squares.
To simplify this recipe, use store-bought puff pastry, pizza dough or simply use flour tortillas.