- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the tomatoes in half horizontally. Cut off a thin slice at the base of each tomato half for them to sit upright. Remove the seeds and any green parts. Place the tomatoes, cut side up, in a large baking dish. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender. Set aside. Set the oven to broil.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, soften the onions in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the sausage meat and cook, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon, until golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the bread and wine. Cook, while stirring, until the bread has absorbed all the liquid. Off the heat, stir in the Parmesan and parsley. Adjust the seasoning.
- Fill each tomato with about ¼ cup (60 ml) of the sausage stuffing.
- In a bowl, combine the bread and Parmesan.
- Spread the bread mixture over the tomatoes and broil for 2 minutes or until golden.