- With the rack in the highest position, preheat the oven’s broiler.
- Place the ginger and onions on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown (see note). Place the coriander seeds in a tea ball.
- In a large saucepan, place the chicken, ginger, onions, and coriander. Cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 3 hours, uncovered. Add the fish sauce. Remove the chicken from the broth. Remove the legs and cut in two pieces. Remove the bones from the chicken breasts and cut them into pieces. Strain the broth through a sieve and adjust the seasoning.
- In a large pot of boiling water, removed from the heat, place the noodles and set aside for about 5 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Place the remaining garnishes in a serving dish in the centre of the table. Divide the noodles into four or six bowls. Top with the chicken and add the broth. Let everyone garnish its own soup.
You can also grill the onions and ginger on the fire of your gas stove.