- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a small bowl, combine the butter and flour. Set aside.
- In a large ovenproof pan, brown the meat, half at a time, in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan, brown the onion. Add oil, if needed. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Deglaze with the wine and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the broth and kneaded butter and bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add the meat, the shallot studded with the clove, and the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake, covered, for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Add the carrots and cook, covered, for 30 to 45 minutes or until the meat is fork tender. Remove the shallot, clove, and bay leaf.
- In a large skillet, brown the bacon in the oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until well browned. Add the garlic and parsley and cook for 1 minute. Pour into the stew. Adjust the seasoning.
- Freeze the cooked and cooled stew in airtight containers or sealable freezer plastic bags. Place the bag on a flat baking sheet. Once they are frozen, you can stack them.