- In a saucepan, bring the water and 125 ml (½ cup) of the sugar to a boil. Cook without stirring until the mixture turns an amber colour. Off the heat, gradually add the cream. Beware of splattering. Bring to a boil, stirring until the caramel is smooth. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining sugar with the cornstarch. Add the egg yolks and stir thoroughly with a whisk. Stir in the milk. Pour into the saucepan with the caramel. Bring to a boil, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. Simmer for about 30 seconds.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap directly on the pudding. Let cool and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or until the pudding is completely chilled.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the crumbs with the butter. Press the mixture with your hands and let it fall onto the baking sheet. Bake for about 8 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until the crumble is golden brown. Let cool completely.
- When ready to serve, stir the pudding with a whisk to lighten it, then spoon into six to eight dessert bowls. Sprinkle with the crumble.
You can also garnish the pudding with whipped cream before sprinkling with the crumble.