Spinach, Lentil and Asparagus Salad
- 6 oz (170 g) pancetta slices, about 1/4-inch (1/2-cm) thick, diced
- 8 oz (227 g) white button or mixed mushrooms, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) honey
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 can 19 oz (540 ml) green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 bunch thin asparagus, cooked al dente, cut into two or three pieces, and cooled (see note)
- 4 cups (1 litre) baby spinach
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, brown the pancetta and mushrooms in 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of the oil. Skim the fat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining oil with the vinegar, honey, and mustard. Add the mushroom mixture, lentils, asparagus, and spinach and toss well. Season with salt and pepper.
If the asparagus are thick, slice in half lengthwise before cutting into pieces.
You can replace the canned lentils with 180 ml (¾ cup) of dried green lentils that you cook in a pot of water for about 45 minutes or until tender.