- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a large ovenproof skillet, brown meat in half the oil. Season with salt and pepper on both sides. Set meat on a plate. In the same skillet, soften shallots with spices in remaining oil (30 ml/2 tablespoons). Sprinkle with flour and mix well. Deglaze with wine. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Return meat to the skillet. Add half the veal stock and ketchup. Bring to a boil. Cover and roast in the oven for 3 hours. Turn meat over three or four times during cooking and baste with remaining veal stock.
- Add carrots and pancetta around roast. Continue cooking, always covered, for about 1 hour or until meat is fork tender and vegetables are cooked.
- To give a nice crust to braised meat, move the rack to the highest position of the oven. Set the oven to broil. Drain meat and place on a baking sheet. Keep sauce and toppings warm. Brush top of the roast with honey. Broil for about 3 minutes or until surface starts to brown.
- Serve meat with toppings and drizzle with sauce. Serve with barley.
For perfectly braised meat, don’t completely submerge meat in liquid. Instead, add liquid halfway up meat for a tastier and more concentrated sauce.