- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Place the first rack in the lowest position of the oven and the second in the middle position. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the eggplant slices on the baking sheets and brush with the oil on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a pot, soften the onion and garlic in the oil. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish with ½ cup (125 ml) of the tomato sauce. Top with one-third of the eggplant slices. Cover with 1 cup (250 ml) of the tomato sauce and 4 basil leaves. Sprinkle with ½ cup (50 g) of the mozzarella and ¼ cup (20 g) of the Parmesan. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is golden. Serve with grilled pork chops, pan-seared veal cutlets or store-bought roasted chicken, if desired.
The eggplant parmigiana is even better reheated the next day for lunch. Serve with a green salad and fresh bread.