- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and line the bottom of an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper, letting the paper hang over both sides.
- In a bowl, over a double boiler or in the microwave oven, melt the chocolate with the butter. Stir and let cool.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, food colouring and salt until smooth. Add the chocolate mixture and the flour and stir until smooth. Spread into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the brownie comes out with a few lumps and not completely clean. Let cool completely before frosting or freezing.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese with the butter and icing sugar until smooth and creamy. Spread the frosting over the entire surface of the cooled brownie. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Unmould and cut into 25 squares. Let warm to room temperature before serving.
- The brownies will keep for two days in the refrigerator.
If the edges appear slightly dry and overcooked, just slice them off before cutting the brownie into squares.