Berry Pudding Cake (The Best)
- 25 MIN
- 1 H 15 MIN
- 4 to 5 servings
- With the rack in he middle position, preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- In an 7-inches (18 cm) in diameter stainless steel saucepan (approximately 8 cups (2 litres) in capacity), combine 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the sugar and the cornstarch. Add the fruit and toss well.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and the remaining sugar (1/2 cup/125 ml) with an electric mixer. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix thoroughly. Stir in the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Spoon over the fruit in the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes (see note) or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool. This pudding cake is better the same day.
You can also cook the pudding cake in a 8-cup (2 litre) soufflé dish. Then, add a few minutes of baking.