- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C)
- In a large bowl, combine the bread, milk and egg. Add the ground veal, garlic, chives and grated cheese and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Shape into 6 large meatballs, placing a cheese cube in the centre of each.
- In a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, brown the meatballs in the butter.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, or until the meat is cooked. Add the tomatoes and cook for about 5 more minutes or until the tomatoes begin to burst.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, brown the mushrooms and shallots in the butter. Sprinkle with the flour and mix well. Deglaze the skillet with the broth. Add the cognac and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Simmer over medium heat until the sauce thickens. Add half the arugula and mix well.
- In each of six shallow soup bowls, place a meatball. Add a few cocktail tomatoes and some sauce. Garnish with the remaining fresh arugula.
If you overcook the meatballs, they may burst. They might not look as pretty but they’ll still be delicious.