- In a wok or skillet over high heat, dry-roast the mustard, nigella and cumin, stirring constantly until they start to release their aroma. Be careful not to burn the seeds. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same wok or skillet, brown the onion in the oil over medium heat. Add the ginger and cook 1 minute. Add the roasted spices, cabbage, carrot and chili pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and continue to cook over low heat for about 15 minutes or until the cabbage is cooked through but still slightly crunchy, stirring a few times. Add a little water if needed to soften the cabbage.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over high heat, brown the peanuts and the coconut.
- Place the cabbage on a serving platter. Top with the peanuts, coconut and cilantro.
Nigella seeds (also known as “black cumin”) can be found in Asian or Middle Eastern grocery stores. If you can’t find them, substitute with an extra ¼ tsp of mustard seeds and ¼ tsp of cumin seeds.