- In a small pot, combine all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the barbecue, setting the burners to high. Oil the grate.
- Place the tofu slices on a large plate. Cover with the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill the tofu for 2 minutes on each side. Brush with the barbecue sauce. Continue cooking for 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and brush once more with barbecue sauce.
- Meanwhile, grill the peppers and onion until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a serving platter, place the lettuce, avocado, grilled vegetables and tofu. Serve with lemon wedges.
Piri-piri is a chilli pepper widely used in African and Portuguese cuisines. It’s used to make a spicy sauce that can be found in some grocery stores.
You can replace it with 1 tbsp (15 ml) chilli sauce (such as Franks’ RedHot).