- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) metal pan and line with parchment paper (see note).
- In a bowl, combine the cereal, flour, powdered milk, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter, almond butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and beat until smooth. Add the apple, carrot and dry ingredients, alternating with the milk, until the batter is just moist. With a spatula, fold in the almonds.
- Spread the batter into the pan. Bake for about 22 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden brown. Let cool completely.
- Cut into 10 rectangles. The bars will keep for 2 days in an airtight container in a cool, dry place, or for several weeks if individually wrapped and stored in the freezer.
The powdered milk helps to up the protein content of these bars, but it’s the mix of nut butter, eggs, milk and nuts
that really makes this a breakfast that satisfies and keeps you going.
If you use a Pyrex pan, increase the cooking time to 30 minutes.