- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 6-cup (1.5 litre), 10 x 4-inch (25 x 10 cm) loaf pan and line with a sheet of parchment paper, letting it hang over both sides.
- In a bowl, combine the ground almonds, cornstarch and baking powder.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until smooth. On low speed, stir in the dry ingredients alternately with the mashed bananas. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the sliced almonds.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out moist but without lumps of batter.
- Let cool completely before removing from the pan.
To make gift-sized loaves, bake the batter in four small 6 x 3-inch (15 x 7.5 cm) loaf pans. Sprinkle each loaf with 1 tbsp of sliced almonds and bake for 30 minutes.