- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the pancetta slices on the baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes or until crisp. Let cool. Chop finely.
- In a bowl, combine the cheese, pancetta, chives and chili powder. Shape into 1-tbsp balls and flatten slightly. Set aside on a plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oil in the fryer to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with a double layer of paper towels.
- In a shallow dish, place the flour. Beat the eggs in a second shallow dish and place the panko in a third dish. Dredge the cheese balls in the flour, then dip them in the beaten eggs. Shake to remove any excess. Repeat these two steps for each cheese hors d’oeuvre, then press in the panko to thoroughly coat.
- Place a few hors d’oeuvres at a time in the hot oil and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, turning them a few times, until golden brown. Drain on the paper towels.
- Place the hors d’oeuvres on a serving platter. Garnish with a few slices of cucumber, julienned apple and microgreens.
Espelette pepper is a chili pepper native to Espelette, France. It has a deep, subtle smokey heat. You can replace it with cayenne pepper.