- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 500°F (260°C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. With a wooden spoon, stir in the salt. Set aside.
- Stuff the cavity of the fish with the green onion, garlic, bay leaves and thyme.
- On the baking sheet, spread a third of the salt mixture to the approximate dimensions of the fish. Place the fish on the salt and completely cover with the remaining salt mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the salt crust is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine all of the ingredients.
- Break the crust around the fish. With a fork, gently detach the skin from the fish and remove the fillet. Remove the central bone, pulling it away from the tail toward the head. Remove the bottom fillet.
- Serve with the sauce vierge.
Watch our video on how to make a salt crust.