- In a saucepan, bring the water, Kamut and salt to a boil. Cover and let simmer over low heat for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the Kamut is cooked but still al dente. Drain and oil lightly.
- With a mortar and pestle, crush the whole spices into a powder. Add the sumac and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients. Set aside.
Lamb and Squash
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 450°F (225°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, soften the onion in 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the oil. Add the lamb, garlic, molasses and tomato paste. Continue cooking until the meat is golden brown and crispy. Add half the spice mix and cook for 1 minute to thoroughly coat the meat.
- Place the squash slices on the baking sheet and drizzle with the remaining oil (2 tbsp/30 ml). Sprinkle with the remaining spice mix. Bake for 15 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Divide the Kamut, lamb, squash and sauce among plates. Sprinkle the meat with pumpkin seeds, if desired, and serve with pita bread.