- 8 chicken drumsticks, with or without the skin
- 2 cups (500 ml) buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups (210 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups (675 g) vegetable shortening, for frying
- In a bowl, combine the chicken and buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk. Dredge the drumsticks in the flour mixture. Shake to remove any excess. Place on a baking sheet. Once all the drumsticks are breaded, dip them once again in the buttermilk and dredge them again in the flour mixture.
- Preheat the vegetable shortening in a deep fryer or deep pot to 365°F (185°C). Line another baking sheet with paper towels.
- Fry the drumsticks in the hot oil, turning them occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the centre of a drumstick without touching the bone reads 180°F (82°C). Beware of splattering. Drain on the paper towels. Season with salt and keep warm.
Fried Chicken and Waffles
To make this American classic, serve the fried chicken drumsticks on warm Classic Buttermilk Waffles (see recipe). Plate with watermelon cubes (sprinkled with a few thyme leaves, if desired) and drizzle generously with maple syrup.