- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 12 muffin cups with paper or silicone liners.
- Pierce the sweet potato with a fork. Place on a plate and cook in the microwave oven for 6 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, or until tender. Let rest for 5 minutes. Cut the potato in half and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Coarsely crush with a fork to obtain about ¾ cup (180 ml) of mashed sweet potato purée. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, oats, bran, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- To the sweet potato purée, add the eggs, milk, oil and molasses. Beat with an electric mixer. On low speed, or with a wooden spoon, stir in the dry ingredients until just moistened. Add the raisins and dried figs. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with the oats, pumpkin seeds and a fig slice, if desired.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Unmould and let cool on a wire rack.
For a complete breakfast, serve these muffins with yogurt or cheese.