- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the eggplant, zucchini and garlic in half of the oil (3 tbsp/45 ml). Set aside.
- In another skillet over medium-high heat, soften the peppers and green onions in the remaining oil. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and pepper flakes. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes burst. Add more water, as needed, if the vegetables stick to the bottom of the skillet.
- Add the eggplant and zucchini mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Divide the ratatouille among four 2-cup (500 ml) Mason jars. At this stage the jars may be cooled and closed, then refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- Divide the fish among the jars, packing it into the ratatouille. Tightly close the unrefrigerated jars and place in a large pot of hot water. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- For ratatouille that was refrigerated, place the jars in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for 15 minutes or until heated through. Remove with tongs.
The fish should be cooked and consumed immediately after it has been packed in the jars as this recipe is not intended to be canned for a long shelf life.
La ratatouille se congèle