- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Cook without stirring until the mixture turns golden brown. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the cream. Beware of splattering.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil and simmer until smooth. Remove from the heat, and stir in the butter and rum until completely melted. Pour into a bowl and let cool.
French Toast Croissants
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Dip each croissant half into the egg mixture, letting it soak for a few seconds.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook a few croissant halves at a time in the butter, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining croissants halves, adding butter to the skillet if needed.
- Place the bottom halves of the croissants onto a serving platter. Cover with half of the bananas and raspberries. Cover with the top halves and add the remaining fruit. Drizzle with some caramel sauce, reserving some to serve on the side.
This recipe is just as delicious prepared with day-old bread.