- In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk, cream, vanilla bean and seeds.
- In another saucepan off the heat, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the egg yolks. Stir in the milk mixture.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon and scraping the sides and bottom of the saucepan, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Strain through a sieve. Pour into a bowl and let cool.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the cream. Refrigerate for about 2 hours or until completely chilled. If desired, place the bowl over an ice bath for faster chilling.
- Churn the cream in an ice cream maker, following the manufacturer’s instructions, until it thickens. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 2 hours.
- If the ice cream is too firm, allow to sit at room temperature for a few minutes before serving. The ice cream will keep for about 2 weeks in the freezer.