- In a large bowl, with your hands, thoroughly combine the pork, wine, spices, salt and half the garlic. Season with pepper.
- In a large non-stick skillet, cook one-quarter of the pork at a time in 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil, crumbling the meat with the back of a spoon, until golden brown and well-cooked. Set aside.
- In a food processor, finely chop, one vegetable at a time, the celery, onions, carrots, bell peppers, zucchini and mushrooms.
- In a very large pot over medium heat, soften the vegetables in ¼ cup (60 ml) of the oil for about 30 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the remaining garlic in the remaining oil (1 tbsp/15 ml) for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Transfer to the pot with the vegetables. Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, oregano, bay leaves and cooked meat. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 2 hours and 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the bread crumbs and continue cooking for 30 minutes. Adjust the seasoning (see note).
Processing in a Pressure Canner
- Meanwhile, prepare the jars and lids in the pressure canner.
- Spoon the sauce into the hot jars, leaving 1 inch (2.5 cm) of space at the top. Remove air bubbles with a non-metallic utensil and wipe the rim of the jar with a clean cloth.
- Centre the lids (discs) on the jars and screw the rings down until the point of resistance, then tighten another eighth-turn, without forcing.
- Place the jars upright on the support rack in the pressure canner. When all the jars are in the canner, add water up to the level recommended by the manufacturer. Lock the cover and let ventilate (let steam escape from the vent hose) over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Then close the vent according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Bring the pressure to 10 lb (69 kPa), then adjust the heat to maintain pressure. Process for 1 hour and 10 minutes over medium heat from the moment the pressure is reached. When the processing time is up, remove the pot from the heat and let the pressure drop by itself before unlocking and removing the cover.
- Remove the jars from the water.
If you’re not planning on canning this sauce, continue cooking for 1 hour.