Crispy Tortilla Strips
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a work surface, julienne the tortilla halves into thin strips. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Add the oil and chili powder, and toss to coat well. Spread evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
Grilled Avocado and Shrimp
- Place a grill wok on the grill (see note). Preheat the grill, setting the burners to high. Oil the grate.
- In a bowl, combine the shrimp, 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil and the chili powder. Season with salt and pepper. In the hot grill wok, cook the shrimp for about 3 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked. Transfer to a bowl. Lightly oil the avocados and grill, flesh side down, for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
- Slightly trim the base of each avocado half so that they lie stable. Place on a plate.
- In the bowl with the shrimp, add the green onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno and the remaining oil (2 tbsp/30 ml). Season with salt and pepper, and toss well. Spoon the mixture onto the avocados. Top with the tortilla strips.
A grill wok is the perfect tool to cook all kinds of small vegetables and seafood on the barbecue. Its perforated shape helps contain and keep foods from falling through the grate. If you don’t have a grill wok, thread the shrimp on a skewer and grill.