Refried Black Beans
- In a skillet over medium heat, soften the onion in the oil. Off the heat, add the black beans. With a potato masher, crush the beans. Add the water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat or until the mixture thickens. Add the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm. Add a bit of water to soften, if needed.
- In a shallow dish, lightly beat the eggs with the parsley. In another large dish, place one-third of the bread crumbs.
- On a work surface, place the steaks between two layers of plastic wrap and slightly flatten with a smooth meat mallet or rolling pin. Cut each cutlet in half. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dip the cutlets in the egg mixture and shake to remove any excess. With a fork, firmly press each side of the cutlets into the bread crumbs. Set aside on a large plate. Repeat with the remaining cutlets, adding bread crumbs as you go.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat the canola oil. Brown 2 or 3 cutlets at a time, adding oil, if needed. Drain the cutlets on paper towels and keep warm.
- Spread each roll with ¼ cup (60 ml) of the refried beans. Layer with the cutlets, diced avocado and tomato slices. Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Close the rolls. Serve with chipotle paste, if desired.
Chipotle paste is sold in many grocery stores in the Mexican products section. If unavailable, purée canned chipotle peppers in a small food processor. Keep the remaining purée in an airtight container in the freezer.