Strawberry Rhubarb Layer Cake
- 55 MIN
- 30 MIN
- 6 H
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and line the bottom of two 8-inch (20 cm) springform pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract with an electric mixer for 10 minutes or until the mixture triples in volume and forms a ribbon as it falls from the beaters. At low speed, drizzle in the oil. With a whisk or spatula, gently fold in the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean. Let cool completely. Unmould.
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, and let simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the compote and let cool. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until completely chilled.
- In a bowl, whip the cream, sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Slice each cake in half horizontally to make 4 slices. Spread the compote over 3 slices and stack. Cover with the last slice. Completely ice the cake with the whipped cream. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Even better the next day.