Slow Cooker Vegetables and Meatballs
- 2 cups (300 g) rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 3 yellow-fleshed potatoes, unpeeled and cubed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb (225 g) white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bottle (20 oz/600 ml) strained tomatoes
- 1 can (10 oz/284 ml) concentrated chicken broth (see note)
- 1 lb (450 g) sausage meat (about 4 sausages)
- Basil leaves, to taste
- Sharp cheddar cheese shavings, to taste
- In a slow cooker, combine the vegetables, strained tomatoes and broth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Form the sausage meat into small meatballs and add to the slow cooker. Cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes on High.
- Divide the vegetables, meatballs and sauce among six bowls. Garnish with the basil leaves and cheese shavings.
In place of concentrated chicken broth, dilute 4 tsp (20 ml) of any concentrated broth (such as Bovril) in 1 cup (250 ml) of boiling water.