Quick and Easy Shawarma-Style Chicken
- 1 1/2 lb (675 g) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground Jamaican allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) hummus
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 tsp (10 ml) toasted sesame seeds
- 4 thick pitas
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Let marinate for 5 minutes or overnight.
- In a large non-stick skillet over high heat, brown half of the chicken at a time, about 10 minutes or until cooked through. If spices and brown bits stick to the skillet, clean between batches.
- Serve the chicken with the hummus and vegetables. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve with the pita bread.