- In a bowl, combine the flour and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer. Add the egg and beat until smooth. With the mixer at low speed, or using a wooden spoon, stir in the dry ingredients. Shape into 2 discs. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one piece of dough at a time to a thickness of 1/4 inch (1/2 cm). Cut the cookies with a 4-inch (10 cm) holiday-themed cookie cutter. Place on the prepared sheets, spacing them evenly. Use the scraps.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cool completely.
- Decorate with vanilla royal icing, if desired. The cookies will keep for 3 weeks in an airtight container at room temperature.
To help you with this recipe
The RICARDO pastry blender and scraper is perfect for blending and dividing the dough into equal parts. The bevelled blade is ultra-durable, and the ergonomic handle provides a comfortable grip. It can also be used to scrape and organize excess dough and flour on a work surface.
10.99 $SHOP NOW