- Drain the tomatoes in a strainer, keeping the juice. Slice the tomatoes into thick rounds and set aside in the strained juice.
- In a large non-stick skillet over high heat, brown the eggplant in 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, cook the meat in the remaining oil, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until lightly browned. Add the peppers and onion and continue cooking until the peppers are tender-crisp. Add the tomatoes with the juice, spices and cooked eggplant.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve in bowls and top with the yogurt. Sprinkle with the oregano.
Baharat is an all-purpose spice blend used in Middle Eastern and North African cuisine that often combines spices like cumin, coriander, black pepper, paprika, cloves and nutmeg. Find it in Middle Eastern markets or blend your own.