- Rinse the octopus under cold running water. Drain. Cut the tentacles from the base of the head and remove the beak (which resembles a parrot’s). Trim the head and discard the beak. Separate the tentacles (see note).
- Place the octopus and the remaining ingredients in a large pot. Season with pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 50 minutes or until the octopus is tender and its skin easily detaches. Drain.
- Gently rub the tentacles under cold running water to remove the skin.
- Preheat the grill, setting the burners to high. Oil the grate.
- Brush the octopus with olive oil, then grill for 2 minutes on each side or until light golden brown. Cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the octopus with the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Serve warm or cold.
Octopus is sometimes sold already cleaned, or ask your fishmonger to clean it for you.