Tonnato Niçoise Salad
- 1 can (7 oz/198 g) oil-packed light tuna
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tsp capers
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 lb (340 g) green beans, trimmed
- 8 cups (360 g) chicory or green leaf lettuce
- 3/4 lb (340 g) cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup (70 g) black or niçoise olives, pitted
- In a blender, purée the tuna and egg yolk. Add the oil, lemon juice and capers. Process until the mixture is smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until the mayonnaise is completely chilled.
- In a large pot of simmering salted water, cook the eggs for 7 minutes. Add the green beans and continue cooking for 3 minutes. Drain the eggs and green beans. Rinse under cold running water. Peel the eggs, cut them in half and set aside. Dry the green beans with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, mix the green beans with the lettuce, cherry tomatoes and olives. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the salad between four plates. Drizzle with the tuna mayonnaise and garnish with the eggs.
For this recipe, we were inspired by the classic Italian vitello tonnato, a dish of roasted veal, served cold and garnished with a sauce made with canned tuna, olive oil, lemon and capers.