- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Oil an oven-proof skillet or an 11-inch (28 cm) baking dish.
- On a work surface, cut the tomatoes in half widthwise and place them cut-side down in the skillet. Add the garlic and oil. Season with salt and pepper and combine well (see note).
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool before peeling the tomatoes and garlic. Return to the oven and bake for 1 hour or until the tomatoes are golden and the liquid has almost evaporated.
- Using a potato masher, coarsely mash the tomatoes and garlic.
- Arrange the cheese slices over the tomatoes and return to the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and scatter the basil leaves overtop.
- Serve immediately with the bread, letting each person dip their bread into the scappata.
Winter and spring tomatoes tend to be less sweet than those you grow in your garden. If making this recipe out of season, add a touch of sugar at this stage to boost the flavour.