Arugula Salad with Persimmon and Almonds
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sherry vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 6 cups (140 g) arugula
- 2 figs, quartered
- 1 large non-astringent or astringent persimmon (or 2 small), peeled and thinly sliced into wedges
- 1/3 cup (60 g) roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup (35 g) Manchego or sharp cheddar cheese, roughly crumbled (see note)
- In a large bowl, combine the shallot with the vinegar. Let marinate for 2 minutes to soften the shallot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the oil, then the remaining ingredients, mixing gently. Adjust the seasoning. Transfer the salad to a serving dish.
Manchego is a firm, sheep’s milk cheese from Spain, sold at most supermarkets.