- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook the shallot, garlic, thyme and bay leaf in 1 tbsp of the butter until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove the thyme sprig and bay leaf. Transfer the mixture to a food processor.
- In the same skillet, cook the chicken livers in 1 tbsp of the butter for 1 to 2 minutes per side until nicely browned but still pink in the centre. Add the fortified wine and sage. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Let sit for 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the chicken livers and add to the shallot mixture in the food processor. Discard the sage.
- Reduce the fortified wine over high heat until only about 1 tbsp (15 ml) remains. Pour into the food processor. Add the salt. Season with pepper.
- Purée until very smooth while gradually adding the remaining butter. Pass through a sieve. Transfer to a ramekin and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, brown the apples with the butter and thyme, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the chicken liver mousse, with toasted bread or crackers on the side.