Flatbread Pizzas with Ground Meat (Lahmajoun)
- 1/2 lb (225 g) lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 tbsp mint, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 4 Greek pitas or naan breads, about 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, lightly brown the meat in the oil, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the onion, garlic and spices. Continue cooking for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor. Add the tomato, yogurt and herbs. Pulse the mixture a few times until creamy (see note). Adjust the seasoning.
- Place the pitas on the prepared baking sheet and spread each one with one-quarter of the meat mixture. Bake for 12 minutes or until the flatbreads are lightly golden. Let cool, then garnish with more parsley and mint.
Be careful not to grind the meat mixture too finely—you want a meaty texture, not a paste.