- Place a grill wok on the grill. Preheat the grill, setting the burners to high. Oil the open area of the grate.
- Place the onion, garlic, ginger and chili pepper in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the wok and cook for 6 minutes or until well grilled, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the tomatoes directly on the oiled grill and cook until well marked and starting to split, about 6 to 8 minutes, turning halfway through. Let cool, then peel.
- In a pot over medium heat, toast the spices in the remaining oil. Add the tomatoes and break them up with a potato masher. Add the grilled onion mixture, fish sauce, sugar and lime juice. Let simmer for 30 minutes or until the chutney thickens.
- Serve the grilled yellow tomato chutney warm or cold. It will keep for 1 week in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you don’t have a grill wok, you can roast the vegetables in the pot you will use later to cook the chutney.