- With the rack in the highest position, preheat the oven’s broiler.
- On a non-stick or foil-lined baking sheet, toss the vegetables with the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are very browned, almost charred. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over high heat, without adding any oil, toast the cumin seeds until fragrant. Be careful not to let them burn. Transfer to a mortar and let cool. With a pestle, coarsely crush. Set aside.
- On a work surface, chop the zucchini and shallots. Place in a sieve and let drain until ready to use. Peel the garlic cloves, then chop. Peel, seed and chop the jalapeño pepper. Add the garlic and jalapeño to the zucchini mixture in the sieve.
- In a bowl, combine the feta, vinegar, chives, thyme and crushed cumin. Season with salt and pepper. When ready to serve, add the vegetables and mix well. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve the zucchini mixture in a bowl and add a generous drizzle of olive oil. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired. Serve with Melba toasts.