- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large ovenproof pot over high heat, brown the lamb shanks in half of the butter. Season withsalt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same pot, soften the vegetables in the remaining butter. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the flour and add the mustard. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Deglaze with the wine and bring to a boil. Add the veal stock and return the meat to the pot. Add the rosemary, orange pieces and cranberries. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours. Remove the lid and continue cooking for 1 hour, turning the shanks over occasionally, until the meat easily comes away from the bone.
Mashed Potatoes and Jerusalem Artichokes
- Meanwhile, cut the top off the head of garlic. Place in an ovenproof dish and drizzle with the oil. Bake for 30 minutes or until nicely roasted.
- Place the potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes in a pot. Cover with cold water and season with salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain and return to the pot.
- With a potato masher, coarsely mash the potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes. Squeeze the flesh of the roasted garlic into the vegetable purée. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Serve the mashed vegetables with the lamb and sauce.
This recipe was created by Café RICARDO chef, Isabelle Deschamps-Plante.