- In a bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until the mixture triples in volume and falls from the beaters in a ribbon, about 5 minutes. Add the applesauce. With the machine on low speed, add the dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk. Let the batter rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with two layers of paper towel.
- With a 1-tbsp (15 ml) ice cream scoop, drop 12 balls of batter at a time into the hot oil. Watch out for splattering. Cook for 3 minutes or until the doughnuts are nicely golden, turning them over once halfway through. Drain on the paper towel. Let cool for 1 minute, then toss in the sugar coating.